Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Shine

I've been contemplating over the past few weeks whether or not I really wanted to pick a word for 2015. Part of me wanted to do it for the sake of doing it. Sort of like making a New Year's resolution with out actually making one. Part of me didn't want anything to do with it this year. Time for a change I thought. Time to move on from that silly little tradition of picking a new word every year. You see, I chose the word Depth last year. I wanted to go deeper in my relationship with Christ. I wanted to go deeper in reading his word and studying it in depth.

But I didn't. I wasn't consistent with reading the word. Sure, I may have started out that way, but a few months in to the new year and life got busier. A baby came into our world and I got tired... really really tired. Worn out. Caring for a new baby and a toddler and everything that came with summer. Graduation, moving, two trips to Kansas 3.5 months apart- one for my brother in laws funeral, two funerals 3 months apart. And then before I knew it the year was over. Time to pick a new word or not.

But I did. A word straight from God's word, from his heart. You see, my mom gave me a gift from my Grandy. Use it however you want, for whatever you want, make it worth it. I have always had my eye on hand stamped jewelry. But couldn't decide. Do I get a necklace with my kids name and add future kids. What if they don't keep the same style? Oo, I like these rings with my kids names. But someday I'd like to add two more kids, that's two more rings. Maybe I'll get something that reminds me of Grandy. I remember being a little girl at least 9. It was probably New Year's Eve. She was sitting out on her balcony enjoying the cool night and beautiful starry sky. I was much to big to sit in her lap but I crawled up anyway. We enjoyed the stars together. She told me all about the big and little dippers and taught me how to find them. Then we just sat in silence enjoying being together.

Stars... I started looking for rings with stars on them. I do like stars after all so it wouldn't be too far off. Then I found the perfect ring. It encompasses EVERYTHING. "You will shine like the stars in the universe." Philippians 2:15 My favorite verse. My friend Laura Lee quoted it in a note she wrote me when I was in 8th grade. I've loved it ever since then. The ring says, " You will shine like stars." Then there is a ring with stars on it.

Shine. 

I want to shine for Christ. When people look at me I want them to see Christ. For the random people I pass every single day, when I walk away I want there to be no doubt who leads my life and who's child I am. Why I live. I want my husband and kids to see me shine in the day in and day out business of being a wife and mom.  I want the people I know to see change and transformation in my life because I'm shining brighter for Christ.

I want to Shine in 2015. 


No comments:

Post a Comment