A few things before I end this day and get some rest. Whew!
This watermelon you see pictured comes with a funny story. I think there will always be at least one funny story when you work overseas and don't know the language. I KNOW I have a couple from my time in Honduras so I'll add this memory bank of funny language stories.
The watermelons have been out in the bazaar for a couple of weeks now. I've been eyeing them for just about that long. We pass a little fruit stand on our way to Russian lessons, so today we stopped after our lessons to get one. We notice the usual man is not there but has been replaced with two little local boys. I call them local because here in the city there are Russians, the local people, and a variety of other people groups. So most of the locals (especially the kids) only speak the local language (which is not Russian). Now that you have background our conversation went something like this:
Me: *place watermelon on scale*
Boy: *It's blah blah*
Me: "No Russian"
Boy: *looks to other boy really confused*
Other Boy: *looks at me*
Me: "English"
*Repeat same confused looks* With some mixed in speaking. I'm pretty sure they were like I have no idea what she's saying... something about Russian but I only speak the local language and now something in a different language.
Me: *Pull out the notebook and pen and motion for him to write it down
Boy: *Sighs and reweighs melon, points to the price on the scale*
Me: Oo... *hands him money* "Thank you!" ha!
I'm sure we thoroughly made their day!
Later today we met up with some other M's that work at a print shop. He, Joe works there while his wife Denise works at the MK school as the librarian. We got to tour the print shop... SO cool!!! Unfortunately, in our rush to get over there I forgot to grab my camera so I don't have any pictures. I'm hoping we can get back over there before we leave so that we can snap a few pictures.
We enjoyed dinner with Joe and Denise and their son. We really enjoyed our visit with them and left breathing a big sigh of relief. Father is at work and my heart is happy tonight. We even got to play a card game... of course we lost but we have challenged them to a redo and hope they take us up on the offer! :)
On the news front, we will no longer be attending the Deaf Conference. We felt like we should forego the travel and trust that the L*rd has other work for us here. Please keep lifting us up to Father. We appreciate your thoughts and pr*yers more than you know. And don't be shy, we know we have readers- leave us a comment :)
dad says dont swallow the seeds
ReplyDeleteAlright, so deaf conference... scratch. I was kinda thinking yesterday bout that. Wondering if maybe there was something else that God might have planned for you all. Don't know why I thought that. Just did. You know, cause I'm random like that.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of random... I got glasses Saturday. I guess, accordign to the doc, I have an astigmatism, where the cornia is football shape instead of round, so my eye bends light in an awkard way, causing fine details, lines, and edges of objects to end up blurry. Yeah, so I got glasses, and because my eyes we so used to compensating for the "wrong" way they've seen for 33 years, EVERYthing I looked at through my glasses was completely distorted. I fell off the sidwalk when I walked out because the ground felt like it was waist high. The cars around me were about 15 inches tall. The buildings were narrow at the bottom and got wider as they went up. So weird. But yeah, now my eyes are used to the glasses, and the constant stressed feeling behind my eyes is gone.
So that was my random bit for the day.
Yes, I am reading them too! I love you guys! Thanks for sharing your journaling and pictures!
ReplyDeleteI have Ryan, Tabitha, Annabel, and Dalton this week! Having so much fun with them!!!! They are having fun too!
Vicky Bird